Volunteer Roles & Jobs
Interested in volunteering? Fill out our Volunteer application and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Food Literacy Fall Interns Needed!
Do you think food should be fun? Do you believe education is empowerment? Do want to help change kids’ eating habits in a way that could affect them for a lifetime? If so, you should think about joining our team at California Food Literacy Center! We believe that food education should be fun, approachable and practical. We want to empower kids to explore more foods and make smart choices on their own. Our mission is to inspire kids to eat their vegetables!
What’s required to become one of our amazing unpaid Fall Interns:
- Experience with or desire to work with kids (pre-K-5th graders)
- Basic knowledge of nutrition
- Able to commit for entire fall semester, Sept 15th – Dec 30th (5-10 hours/week)
- Available Wednesday and/or Thursday afternoons, 1p-6p for school programs
- Have your own transportation
- Comfortable public speaking
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work as a team with adult leaders
- Ability to work independently as leader of a small group (consisting of children and their parents)
- Ability to multitask and take initiative when necessary
- Capable of maintaining a joyful personality, even in times of “chaos”
You will be assisting one or more Food Literacy Advocates (our trained adult volunteers) at various public libraries and in the classroom in Sacramento County. We will be teaching a variety of lessons, many of which involve making a recipe. Recipe lessons need a lot of preparation chopping and measuring ingredients. Many of the lessons require breaking into small groups; in these cases you will be proceeding with the lesson on your own and answering any questions that arise. You will also be shadowing the Lead Advocate. The more hands and positive attitudes we have, the more kids we will be able to reach!
Additional activities may include public outreach during fairs, farmers markets and events.
If you believe in our mission to inspire kids to eat their vegetables, then send us your resume and cover letter by Sept 8. In your cover letter, let us know what an awesome person like you can bring to the class. Please send your resume and cover letter to Elaine. If we like what we see, then we will schedule a phone interview with you and make our final decisions by Sept 15.
Please note: this is an unpaid internship.